Home > Consular & Visa Services > Visa Application
How to apply visa for China (mainland) (updated on 19 August, 2022)

1. In accordance with the relevant arrangement, the Embassy of China in Singapore will make adjustments on visa application requirements for business, work, study and family visits to China. The updated application procedures and material requirements are as follows:

1.1 Fill out the visa application form online (https://cova.cs.mfa.gov.cn), print out the confirmation page and form, and sign the confirmation page and item 9 of the form.

1.2 Make an appointment online to submit the application and print out the visa appointment confirmation form.

1.3 Submit the application in person at the Chinese Visa Application Service Center (CVASC) at the appointment time and retain ten fingerprints.

*The following applicants can be exempt from fingerprint collection:

 a. Applicants under the age of 14 or over 70;

 b. Diplomatic passport holders, or applicants eligible for diplomatic, official and courtesy visas;

 c. Applicants who already had their fingerprints collected within the past five years at the Chinese Embassy or the CVASC in Singapore with the same passport

 d. Applicants with all fingers mutilated or uncollectible.

1.4 Application Materials:

 a. Application form completed online (print-out of the full form);

 b. Original passport and copy of the information page;

 c. 1 photo;

 d. Certificate of lawful stay or residence permit in Singapore (for citizens of other countries who are in Singapore);

 e. Original Chinese passport or original Chinese visa (for those who had Chinese nationality and later joined a foreign nationality);

 f. Certificate of COVID-19 vaccination with verifiable QR code;

 g. Materials for different visas are as follows:

Categories of Visa


Required Documents



Issued to those who intend to go to China for commercial, trade, exchanges, visits, study tours and other activities.

Invitation letter issued by a trade partner in China, or trade fair invitation or other invitation letters issued by relevant entity or individual.


Issued to those who intend to work in China.

Effective “Notification Letter of Foreigner's Work Permit” or the original “Foreigner's Work Permit”


Issued to international studentswho go to China for long-termacademic education

① For freshmen admitted in 2022, the original "Visa Application Form for Study in China" (JW201 or JW202) and the original admission notices of the school are required;

② Forstudents admitted in 2020 or 2021, the original "Visa Application Form for Study in China" (JW201 or JW202), the original admission notices of the school and the Back-to-School approval letters issued by the school are required;

For returning students admitted before or in 2019, the Back-to-School approval letters issued by the school and the previous X1-visa or study residence permit are required.



Issued to spouse, parents, children under the age of 18, parents of the spouse of the holder of a Z or X1 visa or work or study category residence permit.

Original certification (marriage certificate, birth certificate, certification of kinship or notarized certification of kinship) showing the relationship of immediate family members between applicants and inviting individual

An invitation letter from the inviting individual (a foreigner who stays or resides in China for work or study)

③ A photocopy of the inviting individual's passport and residence permit

*If an adult child and his/her spouse apply for a Family Visit (S2) visa, in addition to the above documents, they must submit the appropriate statement of circumstances as required by the consular officer



Issued to foreign family members of Chinese citizens or foreign family members of foreigners with permanent residence status in China.

*"family members" refers to spouses, parents, parents-in-law, children, spouses of children, brothers and sisters, grandparents and grandchildren.

Certification (marriage certificate, birth certificate, household register, certification of kinship issued by Public Security Bureau or notarized certification of kinship) showing the relationship of family members between applicant and inviting individual

An invitation letter issued by a Chinese citizen or a foreign citizen with a Chinese permanent residence permit who lives in China

Proof of the  inviting individual's Chinese identity (e.g. Chinese ID card, household register), or foreigner's passport and Chinese permanent residence permit 


Issued to those who are high-level talents or whose skills are urgently needed in China.

Confirmation Letter for High Level Foreign Talents

*Spouses andchildren under the age of 18 submit proof of relationship (e.g. marriage certificate, birth certificate) to apply for an S2 visa.


Issued to crew members.

A letter of guarantee issued by a foreign transport company or an invitation letter issued by a relevant entity in China

 h. For emergency humanitarian visas other than those mentioned above, such as those for funerals or visits to critically ill relatives in China, the identity documents of the deceased or ill relative (e.g. foreigner's passport, etc.), a death certificate or a certificate of diagnosis, critical illness notice issued by a hospital, proof of kinship, etc. shall be submitted.

2. The above visas are processed through the China Visa Application Service Center (CVASC). Please contact the CVASC for details of the procedures, requirements, processing time and fees.

Information of the CVASC:

(1) Address: 80 Robinson Road, #16-01/02/02A, Singapore 068898

(2) Telephone: +65 67139380

(3) E-mail address: singaporecentre@visaforchina.org

3. For diplomatic and official visas can be submitted at the reception Windows (Nos. 18 and 19) at the CVASC of the Embassy.

Suggest To A Friend: